Skip to main content

How I Took Control of My Diet

Eating Whatever I Wanted

For over a decade after I moved out on my own I more or less ate whatever I felt like. I tried to eat 'healthy' (whatever that meant) but in general I didn't have any plan or purpose for what I would eat. By the time I was close to finishing my undergraduate degree I had gained about 30 pounds and needed to take drastic action.

My roommate and I started a workout and diet plan in my last semester of university and over the next four months I got into the best shape of my life. After reaching my fitness goals I managed to stay in shape for about a year until my old habits leaked back into my life and I gradually gained back the weight...the problem was that I could convince myself to achieve a short term goal but I didn't have a long term plan.

Making a Plan

Two years ago when I had hit my self-imposed weight ceiling (200 lbs) I decided it was time to do something again but that this time I wouldn't settle for a short-term solution. So I began googling...but I wasn't really sure what I wanted. Most diets I could find online were catering to simply losing weight, gaining muscle or optimizing athletic performance. I don't really care about any of that. For sure, I felt like I needed to lose weight but not for its own sake. Ultimately, what I realized was that I wanted to be 'healthy' and if I had to attach a measure to it I wanted my diet to help me live as long as possible...

So finding a diet designed for longevity doesn't appear to be a common request. You can find articles and blogs on this subject of course but many just provide general information (eat lots of fruits, vegetables and legumes...gee why didn't I think of that myself!?!) and the ones that did provide diets didn't match my eating preferences (I'm kind of a picky eater...). I also decided that if I did go with someone else's diet plan, even though the meals weren't my favourites, I could probably stick to it for a while but I'd ultimately slip back into my old routine.

The Mediterranean Diet

Through the googling I did something that consistently showed up was the Mediterranean diet. A lot of the suggestions you get for what's healthy and what's not is dubious at best but the research backing up the Mediterranean diet and its impact on longevity seems to better than most. It's definitely not beyond reproach but I decided that if I was aiming for longevity I could do a lot worse than the Mediterranean diet. That said, a lot of the foods commonly associated with Mediterranean diets weren't up my alley...so I adopted the food pyramid but not the typical meals.

So how do you do that? Well, I took the pyramid on the right and used it to estimate how many servings per month (and by month I mean 28 days) it implies. As you can see the pyramid gives you a sense of the frequency but it's not exactly a formula. I converted it into a formula...



As you can see the table I created on the left is a little more user friendly for those of us obsessed with precision and it's much easier to plug into Microsoft Excel. I also figured out what exactly a 'serving' was for each of the food categories - which you can see in the comments section of the table. I'll never understand why a 'serving' always seems to be significantly less than any North American would eat with an actual meal but I digress. For those of you willing to argue this point with me you had better enjoy eating the 2.5 oz steak I cook for you next time you're over at my house...






Turning the Pyramid into a Plan

Once I had my pyramid converted into numbers I then had to decide how many calories/day I was targeting. The pyramid gave me a proportion to target but not an absolute number. I decided to target 2,000 calories/day given my height and level of activity (this may or may not be appropriate for you). With all that done I could then start categorizing the food.

Categorizing food? Yeah, it turns out that to do this I needed to take all my favourite meals, break them into their unique parts and then decide which category they fit in. Just consider that you might eat 3 pieces of pepperoni pizza for dinner. That pizza probably contains a serving or two of "Red Meat", a serving or two of "Vegetables" (tomato sauce), a few servings of "Cheese" and a few servings of "Bread". That's an extreme example but unfortunately I had to do this for every meal I wanted to include in the plan. The table below shows a snapshot of this exercise.




























So now that I had an idea of how much of each food category I wanted to eat and how much of each category my favourite meals were it was time to put it all together. This involved some trial and error as I didn't want to do it mechanically. I had selected a 28-day cycle for my meal plan specifically because I didn't want my meal plan to become predictable. If I then started calculating how much I needed to include in the plan and spread it out evenly there would be a pattern and outside of a few special meals (bacon and eggs on Sunday for example) I really didn't want a pattern. Regardless, I started typing in meals at random and created a calculator on another spreadsheet to make sure the randomness eventually converged on my desired calories and proportions. I never did get it exactly perfect but below shows my final analysis of the plan.


The Result

Here's the final product: my 28-day, 2,000 calorie/day meal plan based on the Mediterranean diet but filled with only my favourite North American meals...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Election 2023!

  The Day After Just like in 2019 I thought I'd share my thoughts and analysis of the latest Alberta election. I would have loved to share my predictions for it in advance but given my job I try to refrain from public comments during the actual election (however my last guess before the polls came in was only 1 seat off!). Best-on-Best? Before I get too far into politics we're going to take a digression into hockey...you may have heard that just this month Canada won the IIHF World Hockey Championship . On the other hand there's a pretty good chance you didn't hear that and an even better chance you didn't watch any of the games. The reason is that this tournament is not well timed and many of the best players in the world are in the middle of the NHL playoffs. For that reason many of the best hockey players in the world don't compete (for example Connor McDavid was not playing for Canada) and therefore hockey fans don't pay as much attention to it as the t

How I Stopped Paying For Cable

Why Bother? If you're like me you hate paying for cable and you've probably had enough poor customer service experiences with different providers that you've switched between them at least once. The last time I went to switch though I realized that my only choices were providers that I had already 'fired' once before...it was time for a new solution. So I did some googling and after a bunch of painful experiences I eventually found a way to get rid of my cable provider once and for all! Now I'm not particularly young anymore and I wouldn't call myself tech-savvy but I did figure this out and you can too. The point of this blog is to show you how I did it and also to show you some of the common alternatives so you can join the  over 100,000 Canadians who cut their cable in the first half of 2015 . Besides who doesn't want to save a little money? What I Did After doing a bunch of googling and finding a number of articles that were useless I eventua

Explaining Dominik Hasek

Explaining Dominik Hasek Popular View The reason you probably clicked on this link is because the popular view of Dominik Hasek is that there is no explanation for the things that he did. His style was so unorthodox that it defied easy pattern recognition and left almost everyone who watched him scratching their heads. If you google "Dominik Hasek goalie style" you will get all sorts of explanations about how he was simply willing to stop the puck with any part of his body, or that he was extremely flexible (that he had a slinky for a spine), or that he was just really competitive or athletic, etc. See below for examples of these kinds of explanations from Wikipedia and Reddit. You may even believe one of these or have your own somewhat related theory. Obviously, I disagree with all the conventional explanations and I hope to convince you by the end of this post that Hasek's style is as definable as the butterfly and you could even teach it! Who Cares? Before I get into a